Did this last year, thought I'd do it again . . .
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Got paid to blog
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I resolved to create a 2nd revenue stream for our family. I did do that, and hope to make it grow this year. I also have a goal of organizing family pictures and writing letters to each of my kids.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A dear, IRL friend gave birth to her 2nd child, 1st daughter in September. A number of moms gave birth in my homeschool group -- 1 mom I know well had twins, another had a baby girl.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
B's mother died in April. That was a sad time, and I'm not sure if my husband has fully realized the loss yet. It's one of the reasons I'm focusing on creating a written legacy for my kids, though -- her death was sudden (less than 3 weeks from diagnosis to death) and she wanted to share so much that she was unable to do because she was in so much pain.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Money. More Quality Time with family.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
No dates jump at me.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Starting to get paid for freelance writing, returning to training part-time, raising 3 healthy, happy children.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not earning enough money, worrying too much, losing my temper
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, thank goodness
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Doll stroller for L. She LOVES pushing it around.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband, who has an amazingly positive attitude through everything
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The people who stole our truck in June. My brother's soon-to-be ex-wife.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills, groceries, mortgages
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Is it sad that I can't think of something? Nothing really stands out as spectacular, but I am sure I was excited plenty throughout the year.
Although I DID get pretty excited being in front of a class again. I forgot how much I loved to teach, and while it's exhausting, it's also wonderfully satisfying to help others learn.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Huh. I have no idea.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) about the same; b) fatter; c) poorer ( I almost can't believe that we're poorer yet again, but we are. The economy has done a number on DH's job and his income is off by a staggering number from last year -- which was $30K less than the previous year.)
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
earned more money
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
We spent it quietly at home, with just us and my sister. It was a perfect day.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
can't name one.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
I mentioned last year that I should track my books this year, but I didn't. I can't think of a book that I would classify as the "best", but Redwall was an interesting read-aloud and my boys totally got into it. I imagine we'll be reading more of the series in 2009.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
didn't make one.
27. What did you want and get?
28. What did you want and not get?
I can't think of anything.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Mama Mia. I went to see it with my mom and my sister when my mom was in town and it was a great afternoon together. The movie was fun, and I like Meryl Streep.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 41 in November. I can't remember the day at all.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not stressing about paying for the basics.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Losing weight and unable to afford new clothes, then gaining all the weight back and hating my clothes.
33. What kept you sane?
snuggling with my husband
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
36. Who did you miss?
my extended family. It's hard sometimes having family all over the country, and no feasible way to get together regularly.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I met some wonderful people this year, can't really narrow it down to one.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Positive perseverance will get you through anything.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
In the rich man's world
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world
(Money Money by Abba)