I've done this for the last 4 years (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010) -- so I couldn't skip this year! If you decided to play along on your blog, leave a comment so I can read your 2011 recap.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Was denied entry into a foreign country. I don't think I wrote about it on this blog, but I was denied entry into Canada a few months ago because I didn't have all the paperwork they wanted to see. I was supposed to teach a class, but had to cancel since Customs didn't think I had enough paperwork to prove that I was there for work. It was a stressful couple of days until I got my passport returned and was able to return to the U.S.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kept 2 of my 3 resolutions. I am still thinking about resolutions for 2011.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope. No new babies close to us in 2011. Dear family members are working on adopting their foster child, though, so I'm excited for them!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nobody close to me died in 2011.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 5 - 8 and attending the National Stuttering Conference with Nate in Fort Worth, TX. It was a wonderful experience to travel alone with Nate, and spend time with amazing people.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Having 2 articles published in a local parenting magazine. Recovering enough to take Nate to the National Stuttering Conference in Texas. It was up in the air as to whether I would be healthy enough to go, but willpower made it happen.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Nothing I would share with the Internet :)~
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I suffered some serious kidney issues over the summer that landed me in the hospital 3 times, 2 surgeries, and flat on my back for over 6 weeks. It came on suddenly, and it feels like I'm still catching up from the time I lost. Health is precious.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I can't think of any outstanding purchases.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My kids. They all stepped up and were amazing taking care of each other while I was sick. My brother, who helped immensely when I was sick. Also, Colin who stood up to the bullies that harassed his brother.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The kids who teased and bullied Nate about his speech. I wouldn't say appalled, but I am disappointed with both boys' teachers this year and they have definitely brought about depressed feelings. They're just not a good fit.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgages, medical bills
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My parents finally moved in next door. Our trip to CA in October and the time I was able to spend on the beach.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Someone Like You For no other reason than I really liked it, and I listened to Adele's 21 album quite a bit this year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) about the same; b) about the same; c) about the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Played. Spent time outdoors.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
worried (this never changes, does it? Maybe 2012 should be the year I work on changing that)
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Christmas was even better this year because my parents live here now. They are thoroughly enjoying the time they can spend with their grandkids and I love watching their relationships develop.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Never fell out of love.
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Top Chef, American Pickers, Storage Wars (still a reality TV junkie . . . )
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire I picked it up for free over a year ago, but didn't read it until a couple months ago. Got very interested in it, and read the next 3 in quick succession. Felt that Book 4 got really long, with too many new characters, and was too frustrated to spend the money on the fifth book. I'm sure I will read it when either the price drops, or I can get it from the library.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I was a little slow to the party, but I fell in love with Adele this year.
27. What did you want and get?
A new wedding band. My wedding set hasn't fit since I was pregnant with Colin, and I got a little tired of being asked if I was married -- especially when I was traveling. Bo found an absolutely gorgeous band and gave it to me for Christmas. OH! And he also found us a wonderful couple that cleans our house twice a month.
28. What did you want and not get?
Can't think of anything. I'm pretty blessed.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 44 this year. Bo was in Vegas. I think I worked. Nothing exciting.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Can't think of anything.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
33. What kept you sane?
My sister. I depend on her for quite a bit, and I can always count on her even temper and cheery attitude. Traveling for work, and sleeping in quiet hotel rooms.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Mark Wahlberg. He's still my celebrity boyfriend and I'm excited he has a new movie coming out in January.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
I'm not a big political issue type of person. I have my views, and I
keep them quiet for the most part -- doing what I can to further what I
believe is important. Nothing stirred me enough to prompt me to post on
the Internet about it.
36. Who did you miss?
Close, intense friendships. I think social media has watered down relationships.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I met a ton of people while traveling, and teaching. Can't single out one person, but there were lots of people that made my days go by easier.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Work can wait, and money can always be earned. Enjoy the people in your life.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I'm not big on quoting song lyrics . . .