Allstate has launched a cause to encourage teens not to text while driving. For every person that joins the Allstate Thumbs Up cause before January 15, 2010, Allstate will donate $1 to Teen Safety Driving programs, up to $25,000. As of tonight, about 12,500 have joined -- so we have just over 2 weeks to find another 12,500 to join the cause and pledge to keep their thumbs off their cell phones while driving.
The Allstate website has a pledge you can download for your family, and shared some statistics that are sobering. Did you know these facts about texting while driving? (statements taken from the Allstate website, which shares the sources of each statement)
- It takes your eyes off the road on average of five seconds at a time. At 55 mph, that's like driving the length of a football field - completely blind.
- It's like driving after having 4 beers.
- It makes us 23 times more likely to crash.
- It results in car crashes that kill an average of 11 teens each day.
- It's results in 330,000 distracted driving injuries every year.
I have added this cause to my Facebook account, and have asked my friends to join! I am asking all my readers to join as well in order to encourage teens (and adults!) to keep their thumbs on the steering wheel and not their cell phones while driving! While I love the convenience of texting, I'm not about to put myself or others in danger by texting and driving -- and I hope that others agree!
I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central on behalf of The Allstate Foundation. Mom Central sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.