Monday, September 11, 2006

dental fun

After my recent tooth extraction, I had another tooth break. I found myself referred for 2 root canals and crown lengthening (a process where they cut away the gum and some bone to expose more tooth to fasten the crowns.) The 2 referral appointments were made before I found out about my pregnancy.

The appointment last week with the specialist for the crown lengthening was okay - I knew I was pregnant, and she was fine waiting until the 2nd trimester. My appointment today with the endodontist was not as good. He recommended doing the work as soon as possible, and while he prefers not to do any work on pregnant women, he didn't think I should even wait until my 2nd trimester. The root canals could cause a miscarriage, an infection might occur if I wait much longer, and THAT might cause a miscarriage. He also told me he will not prescribe any painkillers because they cross the placenta.

So, I don't have much choice, do I? I've been trying to google to see if there are any risks OTHER than miscarriage (while that may be the worst risk -- am I risking birth defects?) and I haven't gotten any clear answers.

I still don't see my OB for 2 more weeks. I called and did beg for an ultrasound, though -- at least if I know my dates I can have an idea of how far I can push the remaining dental work needed. My most liberal estimate has me about 8 1/2 weeks pregnant right now; my most conservative estimate puts me at 5 weeks. I am having an ultrasound on Wednesday. None of the dentists will do any work until they receive an "OK" from my OB, and I'm hoping that she won't make me wait until after my appointment in 2 weeks. Or maybe I'm hoping she will? I don't know right now.

I'm asking for prayers - and also any dental knowledge anyone might share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design